Gambling is a popular past-time and has been gaining even more popularity due to the increasing accessibility.
All but six states in the United States allow some form of gambling, and with Arizona sports betting now legal in the state, gamblers are tempted even more. Gambling is a risk, but it gives us that thrill that we love. The problem is, sometimes we don’t know when we are in over our head and when to stop, causing gambling to no longer be fun, but dangerous. The solution? Gamble responsibly.
Recently, DraftKings donated over $1.5 million to the initiative, providing funding to the 35 states with problem gambling councils.
What Is Responsible Gaming?
Responsible gaming is no secret formula, there are habits you can form to help you gamble without overdoing it.
- Bet less than you can afford to lose
- Know your limits
- Start small and slow
Sounds simple, right? But it is a little harder than it sounds. If you have ever stepped foot on the Las Vegas Strip, you know the temptation is real. In every direction is the opportunity to gamble. Now with online sports betting launched in Arizona, gamblers will literally have gambling available at their fingertips.
The problem is some gamblers and bettors take it too far and before they know it they are in debt. This takes all the fun out of gambling.
Why Is Responsible Gaming Important?
Gaming is supposed to be fun and exciting. Responsible gaming can help adults enjoy the thrill of gaming and allow them to continue to gamble once in a while, without having to give it up completely. If you lose? No harm, you still had fun. If you win? Total bonus and walk away with a smile.
Gambling addiction comes with the following consequences:
- Possibility of falling into debt and unable to pay bills
- Alienating family and friends by spending too much time gambling, permanently damaging some relationships
- Causes increased anxiety and even depression
Remember, the secret to life is everything in moderation and even more so when it comes to gambling.
Strategies To Responsible Gaming
Responsible gaming starts with the right mindset and also a plan. It doesn’t matter if it is your first time gambling or 100th, always plan to gamble responsibly.
- Set a budget. This is where knowing your limits come into play. At a land casino, bring only a certain amount of cash. Gambling online with an app? Set a deposit limit and STICK TO IT!
- Set a time limit. Don’t gamble for hours, but in short bursts. Also, take breaks and enjoy the moment while gambling!
- Settle. Think you can gain back what you lost? Don’t even try. Accept defeat and walk away. On a roll? Stop while you are ahead and walk away with your winnings. Even if it is just a small amount, be happy and not greedy.
- Rarely. Don’t gamble often. Making gambling a treat that you do once in a while. You don’t want to get in the habit of constantly gambling.
- Cope. Don’t use gambling as a coping mechanism for depression or anxiety or to fill a void. It will only make matters worse, worsening your anxiety and depression and causing additional problems to your life.
Don’t be ashamed. If you think you have a problem, deal with it and face it head on. Get the support you need with online resources and the help offered in your area. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Know that gambling addiction is a common problem and you are not alone and there are ways to fix it.
Take Advantage Of Responsible Gaming Resources
Land and online casinos will have helpful tips and ways to deal with gambling problems. These resources can help you learn more about responsible gaming and how to fully enjoy gambling the way it is intended.
How Casinos Help With Responsible Gaming
Casinos may even intervene and can step in and limit deposits or activity if they notice patterns that could mirror addictive behavior. Also, casinos will step in and cut off those who shouldn’t be gambling, such as those intoxicated. It is NEVER a good idea to gamble when inhibitions are low.
Not all gaming states allow gambling ads, but those that do, like Arizona, will try to limit ads to remove any temptation to those who are vulnerable and those under the age of 21-years-old.
With a self-exclusion program, you can take matters into your own hands. A self-exclusion program is where you can tell sites and locations to ban you, for a certain time limit. This means you will not be allowed to deposit or gamble. This puts a stop to the temptation in front of you.
In Arizona, a self-exclusion program is offered. You are allowed to ban yourself from all Indian Gaming Facilities in the state for either one year, five years, or 10 years. This ban cannot be altered for any reason.
Arizona also uses third parties to ban gamblers from online gaming as well as using ATMs at over 1,000 gaming locations.
Responsible Gaming in Arizona Resources
In the state of Arizona, there are plenty of resources and help for those in the state who are faced with a gambling problem and are looking to gamble responsibly.
For Arizona-specific help combating gambling addiction, we recommend:
- Calling 1-800-NEXT-STEP for the Arizona Department of Gaming Problem Gambling Helpline or visit their website for additional resources.
- The Arizona Council on Compulsive Gambling, Inc. also offers resources.
For national resources, we recommend:
To learn more and for more information on responsible gambling, we recommend:
The first step to dealing with a gambling addiction is to be aware of your actions. If you want to get on the road to recovery, you need to take a self-assessment and admit if you think you have a problem. Don’t be ashamed, gambling addiction happens. Luckily, there are several resources to help. Gambling can be fun and enjoyable, but it starts with responsible gaming.